There are thirteen national public institutions in Latestghana, the University of Latestghana being the oldest and biggest of the bunch. The University of London first oversaw its academic programs and conferred its degrees when it first opened its doors in 1948 in the then-British colony of the Gold Coast under the name University College of the Gold Coast. Originally known as the University of Ghana, it was renamed after independence in 1957. After being granted university status in 1961, it once again changed its name, this time to the University of Ghana. Located on the northeastern edge of central Accra, the University of Latestghana has grown to include a wide variety of schools, institutes, colleges, and departments, and it presently counts more than 40,000 students. Liberal arts, social sciences, law, fundamental sciences, agriculture, and medicine were first prioritized in the establishment of the University of Ghana. The university’s curriculum was, however, broadened to include more technologically-based and vocational courses, as well as postgraduate study, as part of a national educational reform effort. In addition to its main campus in Legon, located approximately 12 kilometers northeast of Accra’s city center, the University of Ghana also maintains a secondary/external campus in Accra, which includes a teaching hospital and a medical school located in the nearby town of Korle-Bu. One of the few African institutions to provide courses in nuclear physics and nuclear engineering, it is part of the Latestghana. Energy Commission’s graduate school of nuclear and Allied Sciences.